Most amazing facts about football, do you know them?Marry
Are you a big fan of football – the most played and most watched sport on earth? If you are, are you sure that you know everything about it? Keep reading on to get some of the most amazing facts about this sport right below here and at the same time, you can check out your knowledge about it as well. They are all sure to surprise you!!!
- Football originated in China around 476 B.C.
- Football is the most popular sport in the world. Over one billion fans watch World Cup Football on television.
- The largest Football tournament saw no less than 5,098 teams. They competed in 1999 for the second Bangkok League Seven-a-Side Competition. Over 35,000 players participated.
- The maximum number of goals scored by one player in a single Football match was 16. It was scored by Stephan Stanis (France) playing for Racing Club de Lens in December 1942.
- Based on video evidence, one of the fastest ever scored was in 2.8 seconds by Ricardo Olivera (Uruguay) in December 1998.
- Football goalies didn’t have to wear different coloured shirts from their teammates until 1913.
- Football players run an average of 9.65 kms during every game.
- The very first game of basketball was played with a soccer ball.
- The World’s First Football Club was the English Sheffield Football Club. It was founded in 1857 by Colonel Nathaniel Cresswick and Major William Priest, two British Army officers.
- European Teams have reached every World Cup final, except for the finals of 1930 and 1950.
- The highest scoring game was clocked 149-0. Stade Olympique de L’emyrne, a team from Madagascar scored their own goals. They did it as a form of protest for the unfair decision by referee in the previous game.
- Ronaldinho came into limelight when scored 23 goals in a 23-0 game when he was only
- Celestine Babayaro, Nigerian born Chelsea player injured his legs while celebrating his debut goal in a pre-season match, while Luigi Riva broke a spectator’s arm with his powerful shot.
- The first black football player was Arthur Wharton in the 1800s.
- Pele was the first to call football “the beautiful game”.
- Only Americans and Canadians call football “soccer”.
- England came up with the word “soccer”. It’s a shortened version of “Association Football” that was changed to “Assoc Football”. This was changed to “Soccer”. In 19th century England, it was popular to add the “-er” sound to shortened words.
- Neil Armstrong originally wanted to take a football to the moon – but NASA deemed it to be un-American.