Jabra’s Elite Sport earbuds: Bluetooth Headphone For Sportmarria
Several wireless earbud headphones have trickled into the market in recent months, including theMotorola VerveOnes, Samsung Galaxy Gear IconX, Erato Apollo 7, Earin and Here One.
Now Jabra enters the zero-wire fray with its Elite Sport, which it calls “the most technically advanced, true wireless sports earbuds available.” It’ll be available in the US ($250), UK (£230) and the EU (€250) at the end of October, with an Australian launch slated for later in the year (pricing not yet announced, but US price converts to approximately AU$330).
What makes the Elite Sport so elite? For starters, the ‘buds are fully sweat- and waterproof. There’s also an integrated heart-rate monitor that provides “ground-breaking in-ear fitness analysis” and, as you’d suspect from a Jabra headphone, they work well as a headset for making calls, with built-in noise reduction technology. According to Jabra, the earbuds analyze external sounds and automatically switch to the earbud with least background noise.
I haven’t tried them yet, so I don’t know how they sound or fit, but they certainly look intriguing.
With in-ear noise-isolating headphones such as these, it’s crucial that you get a tight seal to get the best sound quality. And with “true” wireless earbuds, the ability to maintain a steady, hiccup-free connection will also make or break a product.
Like competing products, battery life isn’t great — they’re rated at just three hours of music listening — but it is easy to get extra juice by slipping them into their charging case, which has an integrated battery.
I’ll put together an in-depth review as soon as I get these in my ears. In the meantime, here are the Sport Elite’s key specs:
- Superior sound with up to three hours of music and calls (plus up to six hours additional charge from the portable charging case)
- Flexible wearing options with single or stereo earbud use
- Advanced heart rate analysis with automatic fitness level testing of VO2 Max, recovery advisor and race predictor
- Two integrated microphones in each earbud
- Background noise reduction
- Audio pass-through allows you to tune in to your surroundings at the touch of a button
- In-ear audio coaching with real-time feedback
- Integrated training management with Jabra Sport Life app
- Three-year warranty against sweat and waterproof to IP67 rating
- Tested to work for at least 30 minutes while submerged in up to 3 feet of water
- Supports all major smartphone operating systems, including Android and iOS
- Support for all leading third-party fitness apps
- $250 exclusively at Best Buy stores on October 30. Preorder on BestBuy.com will begin in early October. £230 in the UK.